Photo Collage Created with: Pic Monkey Photo Editor
Over the last few days I had a good time scouring my house for all the products I use from the local dollar store. How did we ever live without these fabulous centers of bargains galore? Oh sure, I know it is easy to go in for one thing and come out twenty dollars poorer, but there are also terrific buys and deals if you are careful to visit at least once a week and keep your eye open for name brand overstocks.
Here is my list of favorites, although I am sure I have forgotten to include a few.
1. Dental Pic Brushes – Small portable packs of ten. They have a nice case you can keep for other things.
2. Gift bags – Almost half price compared to other stores.
3. Stickers – Great assortments
4. Notebooks – Great varieties and half the price.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide – Super-sized bottle
6. Eyeglasses – Best deal in the stores
7. Scrubbing Buffs – They last forever
8. Digital Timer – My latest “amazing” find/works great/perfect to remind me the dryer is about to stop.
9. Microfiber cleaning cloths – Really pick up the dust. Pretty colors!
10. Toys, Toys, Toys – They aren’t well-made, but they are PERFECT for the back yard.
11. Coffee Filters
12. Foot Sponge – Another of my new favorites. A rough and tough HARD gritty sponge. I’ve never found anything that removes dirt and dead skin as well off of the back and bottom of my heels.
14. Notecards – Beautiful overstocks of gift shops
15. Boxed Matches – I like to keep a lot of these on hand.
16. Hand soap – Another item I like to keep stocked up.
17. Pens – Years ago I merchandised school supplies so I can recognize the better grade pens that are sent to dollar stores because of back-to-school specials and other sales. Take a close look…don’t get packs of ten, purchase the packs with one or two pens. These are great deals because they are smooth writers and will last fairly long.
18. Diaper bags – Another new find. 75 plastic bags, scented nicely ( I usually detest the smell of scented plastic, but this is rather nice) They are PERFECT to dispose diapers and other “untouchables.”
19. Laundry bags – Three in a package…Love, Love, Love these. They last a long time and really do protect delicate garments in the wash.
20. Game books – You can save two to three dollars each by buying these in the dollar store.
21. Foil sheets – Oh my! Can’t do without these. Love them.
22. Holiday baking – decorative containers and wrappings.
23. Gift wrapping accessories.
This list doesn’t even begin to touch all the seasonal buys you can find, the candy bargains, the storage containers, the kitchen gadgets, the terrific scissors I’ve found that actually cut fabric. I couldn’t believe it. I remember the day a pair of scissors that cut fabric were very expensive. If you are having a party you can stock up on party decorations and balloons.
A few things I avoid.
Bath items – Bad fragrances most of the time.
Paper plates & Napkins – Too flimsy and the smell of the dye can be overpowering, even headache producing.
Children’s dyed craft supplies such as foam sheets. The smell is oftentimes HORRIBLE and actually can smell poisonous. I’m careful about what I buy for children. Also dollar store Play-doh clay knock-offs are horrible, as are the paint sets and paints. Cheap crayons just plain don’t work as well.
Disposable Razors – OUCH Need I say more
Makeup, unless it is an overstock of a good name brand
I buy nothing for a baby or infant
Larger tapes such as strapping, duct, masking. It’s terrible quality and hard to get off the roll. Scotch tape is fine.
The photo collage picture at the top of this post was so much fun to create. I have just run across the site of “PicMonkey” and like a few of the other photo editing sites it has a lot of offer. The collage application is the best I’ve ever used. Super-easy to learn and use. I can’t wait to try it again. Thanks so much for stopping by…feel free to list a few of your favorite dollar store or discount store bargains.